Mental ray introduction


Concept by Gabriele D'Angelo

I decided to make this image as exercise for speed modeling and lighting with the goal of optimize time and resources and find some alternative way to model some elements.Surfing the net I found this image where I coldn't read all the details but it was enough to do a similar one.




Modeling
I've started, as often happen, from the environment, the room, modelling just what I needed to match a similar view to the original.



I experienced that MR ( the engine I've choosed) don't care so much about the calculation of the moving walls technique (at the opposite way, vray reduces time and it's more accurate with a unique room and negative extrusions for the windows with ID channel for different materials).In mental ray I have not experienced this feeling and I can afford a more flexible use of the fifth (box) be moving according to the usable space.




FINAL IMAGE



chaise longue
The first element is the main cushion. A box with 3 rows of polygons in height and serve to identify the core as you can see from the image. The same technique was used for the large cushion up. As regards back and armrests have preferred derive the base mesh which I then extruded spline defined by poly.I edit lines and over the back of the tube were obtained by selecting the same mesh edge, using a loop, clearing any unwanted edges and creating a shape to which he was given thickness.
All the decorations were made from a poly cube and gradually going through the usual defining and undefining inset, extrude and bevel.Only except the circular element for which I started from two hemispheres. (chaise longue)



tables
The tables have been generated by the revolution of a spline, Lathe, and edited using the command below for details, to which I added the legs from a box and extruding (bevel) faces. Same thing for the phone. one note: the wire is made from a Helix with a pathdeformation modifier. (tavolini)



The vase with flowers
I performed the modeling of a basic vase and a rough flower with two leaves. after made some duplicates and filled , using 3-particle systems (particle arrays), the volume inside the vessel with leaves and pollen.



the pedestal
I got the basic shape of the hat as shown, by applying a modifier 'shell' , check 'select inner faces' in order to make the double layer of material (textured white inside and colored outside). With the same technique used for the lines I created the board. By selecting the external faces of the same I ran a bevel to the inside to get the groove.



the tents
Were made with the modifier 'cloth' applied to a plane with 80 * 120 subdivisions and two 'collision object' animated (a torus and a box). The torus is pressed while moving left to pick up and the box to lift the curtain rose on the floor



the bells
Before starting, I decided, since it was a modeling exercise, do not use any displacement or hairs, so I made this object from a very flat cylinder. Selecting all the faces below, I gave it a 'inset' and I just extruded with a segmentation in anticipation of what I did after that is: apply three modifiers. The first was 'ffd 4x4' which it was used to get the characteristic shape, closed above and open the base by bending the middle. The second was the 'twist' that went to the filaments by simulating a random torsion and to end the 'noise' that moves at random way slightly the length of the filaments themselves.



and here is the scene as it appeared complete



Texture & shader
The texturing and shading, have been addressed without special treatment, by applying some falloff map in the channel both in the diffuse reflections depending on whether they were reflective materials or fabrics. Some have mentioned glossiness maps reflect, scratches and dirt. Ambient occlusion UVW on basic materials and geometries for all except some little trick on padded (which had several provisions to limit the points of contact with ironing the seams).
Lighting
Even here the setup is very simple and includes 2 mr sky portal + 1 for the 2nd beautypass (the internal one with 1.0 multiplier and external one with mult. 3.0) and a daylight system .



Rendering
Really low set as you can see by the image. The final rendering needed about 3 hours at 4000*2000 pxls using a dual quad core.



Post
photoshop was used to correct curves and blend the 3 different layers ( beauty pass 1, beauty pass 2, Ambient Occlusion )

About me
Gabriele D'Angelo
lives in Varese where he works as freelancer


Categories: ,
Some articles are updated by us from various sources on the internet. We don't have anything to do with the author.
Some articles are updated by us from various sources on the internet. We don't have anything to do with the author. This's a small group3d. I was just a 3d lovers and I wanted to share my learning experience for everyone. If you are the author of the article. Please contact us at Facebook.
//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY MUKUND - www.newbloggingtipz.com